The BIOTECHNOLOGY & SUSTAINABLE CHEMISTRY group has a strong background in biotechnology (pharma, industrial and environmental) and associated analytics. Consequently, the group covers the complete value chain from microbiology, strain engineering, bioprocess development, product isolation & complex analytical characterization to quality control using state of the art methods and equipment. Its members are experienced in conducting complex various projects (corporate & public co-sponsored, European projects, mandates) with industrial as well as academic partners.
State of the art equipment for research and services:
- (Bio)separations: LC (analytical & semi-preparative scale), LC-MS (qTOF, qqq), electrophoresis (planar, capillary) of proteins, antibodies, enzymes, active pharmaceutical ingredients, proteins (e.g. mABs), complex carbohydrates, ions, etc.
- Structure elucidation (NMR, FT-IR, MSn)
- Chiral analysis (LC, GC, CE, polarimetry)
- Elemental analysis (AAS, AES, ICO-OES)
- Biocompatibility (LAL test) and standardized in vitro cell assays (ISO10993 based methods)
- ELISA, enzyme activity, fluorescence assays
- Gene expression, transgene copy number, host cell residual DNA (qPCR)
- Method development & validation: ISO 17025 certified (analytical chemistry, microbiology, qPCR)
SUSTAINABLE CHEMISTRY & ENERGY
Customized system engineering is provided in the fields of:
- Hydrogen generation by microbial electrolysis cell
- Bioethanol Refining
- Plasma technology for material treatment and analysis
- Electrolytic Hydrogen generation & conversion
- Integration of photovoltaics and chemical storage
- Phosphate recovery from digested sewage sludge
- Methane production using bioelectric systems
- Microalgae as tool for solar-driven chemical production
Bioprocess development for research and industrial production:
- Design and scale-up of batch, fed-batch and continuous cultivation of: aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, fungi, mammalian cells and algae)
- Strain development, (screening and selection of expression systems)
- Process analytical technology (PAT) for bioprocess optimization and scale-up from micro-bioreactor to 300 L
- Downstream processing: filtration, centrifugation, extraction, fixed and fluidized bed adsorption, chromatography, membrane separation from lab to pilot scale
Renewable bioresources are investigated for biological and chemical treatment:
- Solids: Polysaccharides (cellulose and hemicellulose) and complex mixtures (food waste), biomass
- Liquids: Industrial and municipal (organic) waste streams and waste from food industry
- Gases: CO2, H2, CO (syngas)
- Biosorption for the removal of microcontaminants
Complex reactions are carried out by diverse enzyme systems:
- Stereo-, regio- and chemoselective enzymatic catalysis and whole cell biotransformation of, for example, waste into fuel products
- Synthesis of biosurfactants, biolubricants and biodiesel
- Stabilisation of enzymes by ionic liquids
- Rate enhancement of enzymatic catalyses
- Green solvent free enzymatic catalysis
Production, processing and (analytical) characterization of biomaterials:
- Biopolyesters, polysaccharides, proteins, peptides, DNA/RNA
- Tailor-made polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA) for industrial and medical applications
- Medical implants (collagen substitute)
- Antimicrobial effect testing
- Simon Crelier, Ph.D.
Biotechnology, DSP, enzyme technology
- Christoph Ellert, Ph.D.
Plasma technology, hydrogen production and conversion, system and process engineering
- Fabian Fischer, Ph.D.
Biotechnology, biocatalysis, chemical biotechnology & biofuels
- Franka Kalman, Ph.D.
Bioanalytics, characterization and quality control of (bio)molecules
- Sergio Schmid, Ph.D.
Molecular biology, recombinant production and strain engineering
- Manfred Zinn, Ph.D.
Biotechnology, bioprocess engineering & biomaterials