The powder technology industry is growing. The main applications concern the large scale production of metal and ceramic parts by conventional pressing and powder injection moulding, as well as the production of small series by rapid prototyping.
The Powder Technology and Advanced Materials Group is conducting several projects on the development of novel materials, and part manufacturing for the automotive, medical and aerospace industries among others.
The group has a solid network of partners in Switzerland and worldwide. The results of the R&D activities are regularly published in international journals and presented at the major conferences in the field.
- Processing of sintered parts by uniaxial pressing and sintering
- PIM Powder Injection Moulding (MIM / CIM)
- 3DP Three Dimensional Printing
- Tape casting
- Plastic injection moulding
- Design and fabrication of moulds for injection or uniaxial compaction
- Materials characterization, optical and scanning electron microscopy, mechanical tests
- Development of emerging materials (shape memory alloys, nanoparticulate reinforced metals, ...)
Full equipment for powder characterization and manufacturing of parts by powder technology.
- Single axial presses for cold and hot compaction
- Injection moulding machines for both PIM technology and plastic injection moulding
- Mills and mixers for powder milling and granulation
- Mixers for the preparation of PIM feedstocks
- Hot isostatic press
- 3D printers for additive manufacturing
- Furnaces for sintering under controlled atmosphere
- MIM furnace for debinding and sintering
- Laser diffractometer for measurement of the particle size distribution of powders
- Differential scanning calorimetry and thermogravimetric analysis
- X-ray diffractometer
- Equipment for optical metallography
- Scanning electron microscope with EDS and WDS microanalysis
More details on the complete infrastructure page